Google+

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Concerns over size of the size and construction of the Whale Watching platform


Hello Everyone
Kieran has asked for some more feedback on the points that he raises below.
Can you please leave a comment below as to what you think of this.
I'll add mine in a minute.
Thanks
Anthony
From: kierankinney 
Subject: Re: boardwalk plans
Date: 10 May 2013 5:34:21 PM AEST
To: bodhi aldridge 

thanks very much for that Nick.

My initial reaction to this plan, though it is professional and appears attractive, is that it is an overdevelopment of the site. In launching the idea initially I was really only interested in tidying up that first area as you arrive on the site and provide a zone for people to stop ,sit and hopefully choose to go no further.This zone measures about 15m beyond the last bit of boardwalk. (lets call it the scuzzy area!) I envisaged a boardwalk and seating there.The existing plans looks great for that area! I like it very much. 

The rest of the site, should, in my mind, remain informal. This east facing bluff of the headland is actually a rather small site, very wild and wooly, I would want to retain that wildness, that essence. In short I think the plan, in its current form, is an overdevelopment of the site and rather heavy handed.

The headland is under enormous pressure from visitation...The provision of comfort seating at the 'arrival' zone will actually go a long way to reducing trampling and erosion, as many people, i believe, will choose to rest here and go no further. That is really an important consideration. 

An alternative to boardwalking large slabs of the bluff is to formalise track ways on that eastern bluff with discreet and subtle use of stone flagging... large beautiful slabs of stone (sourced locally) placed with great finesse and design into the landscape to guide people away from certain areas and help reduce the erosion and trampling of vegetation.

Dont get me wrong..I love extensive boardwalks..but this site is very small and full of subtle beauty underfoot, this will be lost i think, with such a large development.

When visiting europe many years ago i noticed the organic way old cultures have formalised ancient trackways in wild places...invariably using local stone flagging and steps.. Stunning and beautiful. Yes there are logistical issues and cost issues. I will admit that. But we can start small.

Any way... thats another discussion. I thoroughly like the plan for the first 15 metres ,then it loses me after that I'm afraid.I'd advocate limiting the boardwalk structure to that first 15m. I'm keen to hear any opinions and open up discussion if people feel strongly either way.I have included a few pics that go some way to illustrating my ideas about stone flagging. 

best wishes, kieran





2 comments:

  1. My uneducated opinion is that the stonework would be better over the long run. My concerns are 1. Possibly this approach should be applied to the entire boardwalk not just the top 2. I assume there would be considerably more cost than can be afforded. 3. There will be a DA process for this and so this concern should be raised as part of that process as well as open conversation here. 4. I think that a boardwalk will require less cut and fill leaving the natural contour under the boardwalk. That may be better for water run off and erosion but I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree that stone worked into paved areas will be a more sustainable and long lasting material when placed carefully in a relatively small area. A change of material from boardwalk to natural rock paving may give the impression that "this is the destination". My own experience when enjoying the outlook is to respect the space of people who are occupying the seat and to move behind them to a vantage point slightly higher so I would advocate an additional seating niche placed accordingly. The idea raised by Dan when he prepared the first concept sketch was that each seating niche should be angled to address a slightly different quadrant of view. This also appeals to my sense of design so that the "destination" is appreciated as a well considered and planned amenity. Hopefully the enlarged footprint of these viewing areas can be tucked into protected pockets which provide a degree of comfort for those who would like to enjoy the outlook. The extended periphery of the edges of the paving would reduce the impact caused by those who choose to wander further.
    At this stage with our budget I think two seating areas should be constructed but knowing the amount of traffic already using the summit I think a concept plan involving a future third platform should be part of the planning. Comfortable seating was mentioned by Kieran and I think this is important. Is there anyone involved in the council landscape planning section who might be able to influence the design sympathetically rather than just extending boardwalk? Let's get together to form a consensus view to take to council.

    ReplyDelete